Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's finally over!

What a week it has been! I'm sorry that I haven't posted hardly at all but like Shyla its been one heck of a week. It started out not so bad but I just wasn't in the mood to do anything so things started to build up. I did my reading while I was at work so that didn't get to me, but I did leave my legal/ethical paper till the last minute and that wasn't good. I got to class on Saturday and I stupidly realized that I hadn't done a header on my paper and no cover sheet! I was kicking myself the whole time cuz there wasn't anything I could do about it at that point accept hope she liked the rest of my paper. I've learned my lesson though thats for sure. I did do my workout like I've been trying to so I succeeded in that this week. But I've been so tired this week. I'm not sure whats up, though I would guess its got something to do with the weather which while its been sunny a few days this week its mostly been gloomy and cloudy and cold and no one wants to be out in it and everyone just wants to stay in a warm bed or home and not do much of anything.
Ok so the picture is the long awaited one of me in my new school scrubs. I went on Friday to get my patient information and that was all well and good but not much else happened since we aren't allowed to do anything except meet the patient and get all the info we needed. So needless to say I was a bit nervous as to what was going to happen on Saturday. I have done clinicals before yes and I am a nurse but they didn't tell us anything to expect or tell us what we would be doing. Turns out that this clinical was just to get our feet wet and get us into doing care plans and assessments and such. So it wasn't bad at all in fact it was crazy amazing! My patients nurse let me follow her around and actually let me do things too! We were on 7 West at St Francis which is the Oncology unit, so it was kind of a sad place but it was fun! I helped hang blood, and flush the tubing when it was done, I started an IV and took them out, I got to do dressing changes and especially did one on a chest tube, and we had to try and reposition the tube in the ladies chest! It was soooo cool!!!! My patient developed crepitus while I was there and for all those reading that its when air gets trapped in the pleural cavity somewhere, its not usually a lot but its not a good thing anyway. It feels like something crinkly is under the skin, airy and crinkly. Its wierd but I was excited about it. So anyway, needless to say I learned a lot Saturday. I kinda felt out of place though, cuz none of my other fellow students did much of anything accept sit in the little break room and chat and write down patient info. I had to stay after bit to get what I needed but it was a small price to pay for the things I got to do and see while I was there! :)

Yesterday I was up by 7:30 to get to class, went to clinicals from 1-6:30 and then came home took a short nap and went to work 11-7 this morning, came home and took another short nap got up at 11:30 and went to church. Which today was awesome in church...not that anyother day isn't but today was just nice. I wasn't hit with any profound amazing revelation or new knowledge even though I did learn some new things, it was just nice today.
The theme today in Sacrament Meeting was "With all thy getting, get understanding" which I heard that and like the speakers I had no idea what it meant. They had some very good points in thier talks and I'd like to share some of the things I learned, here is what I wrote in my little journal thing:

1. Seek for understanding in all that I do, seek for knowledge because it is all I can take with me into the next life.

2. Patience to learn and listen and understand what is going on.

3. As we read and search the scriptures, seek to understand what we read, clarify it.

4. Take each challenge with one step at a time with faith in every footstep...our faith and understanding will increase. (this last one was a quote but I missed half of it and who it was by)

5. Gods grace doesn't garauntee an A or that we'll be genius but it does garauntee that we will be able to understand things.

Those are some things I got from the talks. Also Court taught Sunday school and he of course used his knowledge of airplanes to do some of it but the point of his lesson was that we all have our personal liahona and if we do what we're asked and follow the Lords directions or promptings it will continue to guide us to where we are supposed to be and what we're supposed to be doing. In Relief Society it wasn't anything great accept I loved the scripture in D&C 110:1-4 where it talks about the Savior appearing to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple and that is just an amazing description. But Ramon (our teacher) asked what we liked or thought about that page. I said that normally we have these paintings that depict the Savior as a very calm and loving and compasionate person and He is in regular cloths, however this description portrays Him as an all powerful, omnipotent, and glorified being. I mean think about the description, its not something we normaly would use in describing someone. If we describe someone we say oh thier 5'6", brown hair, tan skin, green eyes etc. Joseph described specific characteristics so eloquently! "His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters..." I mean how incredible is that! I'm sure this isn't profound to anyone else but I have always loved that description of the Savior, I know that He is loving and compasionate, forgiving and merciful and all these other things we associate with Him but this shows just how much of powerful being He really is, and I think sometimes in our descriptions of that we may forget that.

So the next time you think about the Savior or see a picture of Him just remember who He is.

I hope you all have a good week!
Love you!

No comments: